Thursday, October 2, 2008

Buffett pulls the trigger again.

one may view it as material proof of his belief that the global economy will improve. It looks like the bail package will be finally voted in on Friday (with a little pork being passed around as usual). Doomsday may be averted, this time. lol.

IMHO, there are a few opportunities developing that "bear" close observation if you have capital on the sideline:

  1. American Express-- heading to the low 30's. a guru favourite with a great business plan that will almost certainly survive to fight another day.
  2. Brookfield Asset Management BAM-- a personal favourite. Still hasn't hit my target entry price of $25 CDN or lower (for the BAM.A.TO equity traded on the TSX, anyway). I have a standing bid at this level and am waiting patiently.
  3. Diageo DEO-- has hit my target entry of $69 or below, but my capital evaporated in that account (tax bill). I think this is a very safe long term investment with an excellent upside. I agree with Morningstar that it is trading at a 30-40% discount to FMV.
  4. Conocophillips COP-- I'm not as bullish on oil as many others but the fundamentals, management, Buffett stake and exposure to nat gas makes this company compelling. It is approaching my original entry price over 2 years ago!
  5. Seaboard Corp SEA-- if it were to drop below $1200, it would be irresistible.
  6. Hamburger Hafen HHULF.PK-- still hanging in there about 40 euros/$57 USD. I'm holding out for an entry stake at $55.
  7. Lloyds TSB Bank LYG-- the very large acquisition of HBOS and apparently opaque back room deals with the UK gov't is making the risk assessment of this investment a bit tough. I'm holding tight on my stake and considering add a bit when and if I get enough information about the bank's financial situation/liquidity status.









No comments: